Want to buy a perfect fragrance for your upcoming special occasion, you should consider the main three factors that are longevity, projection, and sillage.
And you may be familiar with the terms called longevity & projection; the main confusion arrives with the word sillage; what does sillage mean in perfumery?
To resolve your confusion, in this write-up, I’ll deliver the actual meaning of sillage, along with the testing & increasing methods of perfume trail.
So, stay tuned!
What is Fragrance Sillage?
Sillage in fragrance describes the trail or track that is created by a perfume when someone wears it. It comes from the French dictionary, which means “wake,” and it is pronounced “see-Yahzh.” The concept of sillage is compared with the wake of a boat or a trail of waves in the water.
Sillage plays the most powerful attribute of a fragrance which spreads the exact aroma as a trail. In the perfumery world, people search for these significant criteria to choose the best flacon.
The charm of sillage appears when a person leaves the place, but the aroma still exists.
A good quality fragrance offers the most mesmerizing aroma as the sillage. That is why people always search for perfumes that provide a strong and delightful trail before buying any fragrance.
Users are always confused between sillage & projection, but both are different in fragrance. Projection refers to the area around the wearer, whereas sillage means the aromas that the users leave behind when passing by.
To be specific, spray some perfumes on a piece of paper and move it around the air. After a while, If you smell anything, that must be the perfume trail.
Moreover, a sillage also sets the criteria of a perfume.
For instance, a strong perfume with heavy sillage is perfect for your date night, but you can’t wear it for your job interview; you need something soft & mild for that occasion.
How To Test Perfume Sillage?
After reading the previous portion, you already know what it actually means by the word sillage in perfumes. But the next question arrives, how can you test the accurate trail of a perfume?
Most of the time, we can’t smell our own perfume sillage because it follows us, so, we can’t perceive the accords that other people do.
Hence, here I’m going to describe some easy yet effective methods to figure out the offered sillage of the selected fragrance.
Let’s check out the testing methods of sillage in fragrance:
- The common way to examine sillage, ask a friend who walks behind you if he received any smell from you or not.
- Next, you can try the wrist test. First, splash perfume on your wrist, and extend your hand as much as you can & move it around in your body. After a few moments, if you receive the exact scent of your perfume, then it has strong sillage.
- At last, you also can do the room test. Spray your perfumes in a closed room, and leave it for 10 to 20 minutes. Then enter the room; if you still feel the perfume’s aroma, it must provide a good sillage.
That’s all, these are the most common and effective ways to find fragrance sillage on your own.
How Can You Increase The Perfume Trail?
When you have enough knowledge about perfume sillage, it’s high time to know the efficient approach to increase the perfume tracks.
Well, now I’ll describe the techniques I have already tried to enhance the fragrance trail.
Here are the most used tricks to increase the sillage of perfumes:
- If you want great sillage, you should spray more perfume on your skin. It not only increases the fragrance tracks, but it is also a good option for boosting perfume projection & longevity.
- Apply perfumes on your clothes because fabrics are ideal for spreading the fragrance without changing the main accords.
- Use the perfumes on your pulse point or warm places on your body like the neck, chest, and wrist.
- Apply scentless moisturizer after showering in those places where you want to apply perfumes later.
You should try these ways to improve the perfume trail. It’s better to use these methods and enhance the sillage because it is considered one of the powerful criteria of a fragrance.
Plus, applying these methods also can increase the projection and longevity of the perfume.
Which types of materials help to increase sillage in perfume?
Clothes are the best material that helps to increase the sillage in perfume. To get better execution, it’s better to apply the perfume on any leather belt and wool scarf.
Which factors affect the perfume sillage?
Sillage can be dependent on many factors, such as weather, perfume types, using purpose, and individuals’ moods.
Where to apply perfume for best sillage?
To get the best perfume sillage, you should apply it to your pulse points. But for better results, use the fragrance on the neck and the inside of your knees.
Sillage in perfume is a very crucial thing to decide the best fragrance. And it’s mandatory because everyone wants to leave a beautiful trail behind.
So, after reading this content, you already know about the perfume trail and how it can be increased. I hope the above information will help you to select the best perfume with excellent sillage.
For further queries about fragrance, just leave a comment in the below box.